0498 686 261

INFORMATION FOR HOMEOWNERS

Most general home insurance policies do not cover termite damage to structural timbers. A recent CSIRO survey reported that 80 percent of homes are located within 25 metres of an active termite colony. These statistics have been confirmed by the Institute of Australian Architects. Termites are known to travel up to 100 metres from their colony in search of food. On average, only 20 percent of homes undergo regular termite management leaving 80 percent of homes unprotected. It is estimated that termites cost Australian homeowners over $100 million every year.


STANDARD TERMITE INSPECTIONS

A Standard Termite Inspection or Pre-Purchase Timber Pest Inspection will identify any termite activity and/or damage within a property. A Termatrac T3i Termite Detecting Radar is used for each inspection. The Termatrac uses non-invasive microwave technology to detect and track termite activity hidden within structural timbers. A Standard Termite Inspection or Pre-Purchase Timber Pest Inspection will also identify any conditions that make the property conducive to future termite attack. Every Standard Termite Inspection and Pre-Purchase Timber Pest Inspection is performed in strict accordance with Australian Standards AS4349.3-2007: Inspection of Buildings – Timber Pest Inspections.


WHAT AREAS ARE INSPECTED?

The inspection includes all accessible areas where reasonable and safe access is allowed. The inspector shall determine on the day whether sufficient space is available to allow safe access to confined areas. Where sufficient access to enable inspection is not available, recommendations will be made for gaining access. Reasonable access does not include the cutting of access holes or the removal of screws and bolts or any other fastenings to access covers, removal of any sealants to access covers or removal of coverings or cladding to gain access. Sub-floor areas sprayed with chemicals should not be inspected unless it is safe to do so.


WHAT ITEMS ARE INSPECTED?

All structural timbers e.g. sub-floor, floor, walls, stairs, ceiling joists, ceiling battens, roof framing. Joinery and decorative timbers e.g. doors and door frames, windows and window frames, skirtings, joinery. Ancillary structures e.g. false floors, built-in cupboards, built-in furniture. Attachments and outbuildings e.g. garages, carports, pergolas, patios, verandas, sheds, posts. Garden timbers e.g. landscaping timbers, fences, logs, pool surrounds, garden boxes or tubs, firewood, paving blocks, sleepers & trees and stumps with diameter greater than 100 mm. The inspection does not include timber within the building that is not part of the building or that is obscured from visual inspection. Examples of timber elements not to be inspected include: furniture, furnishings, stored items & concealed timbers, including areas restricting for inspection by furniture, furnishings and stored items. 


WHAT EQUIPMENT IS USED?

A Digital Moisture Meter is used to identify high moisture content within the building caused by rising salt damp, water ingress, leaking pipework and inadequate drainage etc. Termite are attracted to moist conditions which makes identification of these areas a critical part of the inspection process. A Termatrac T3i Termite Detecting Radar uses microwave technology to detect and track the presence of live termites hidden within the building structure. A Borescope Camera is also used to inspect areas that have suspected termite activity and limited access for a visual inspection or use of the Termatrac T3i. A long handled donging stick are used for sounding timbers to detect if they are solid or hollow from termite damage. The long handle allows for additional and reach when sounding hard to reach timbers. A digital camera is used to photograph any termite activity or factors that are conducive to termite attack. The photographs will be included with descriptions as part of the inspection report.


HOW LONG WILL THE INSPECTION TAKE?

A typical inspection of a residential property takes approximately one hour 'on-site'. This can vary depending on the size of the property, the access on the day, and the level of termite damage and/or activity.


WHEN WILL I RECEIVE MY INSPECTION REPORT?

Every effort is made to have the report completed and sent within 24-48 hours of payment being received. 


ARE THERE ANY ADDITIONAL COSTS?

An additional travel fee may apply for some areas. All prices will be confirmed prior to the day of inspection.